Friday, May 6, 2011

This Mississippi River flood is difficult to grasp

Growing up in the Mississippi Delta, and along the Mississippi River, it wasn't unusual to see high water in the spring, but I'm having trouble getting my mind around the flood waters heading south.

The 1927 flood ... known as The Great Flood ... is the benchmark in regards to water levels, yet the water moving downstream is forecasted to dwarf that one. Jeez!

If you haven't stood on the river's bank and watched the water flow past, I would think it would difficult to grasp ... but not unlike having grown up in the region and being familiar with a landmark and learning it is forecasted to be under water in a few days.

Every spring, when it rained and the water backed up the dredge ditches, we'd have flooding out on Highway 14 in Humphreys County. Never, though, do I remember the closing of major highways. Along US 49 West, between what we knew as Anchor Curve and Wolf Lake, there were a number of reliever canals dug in the late 1950s and early 1960s that were designed to bring high water between the retention levees, but this year, they are talking about closing that roadway!

There were always fields that would flood, but this year, the water around Wolf Lake is projected to get so high that friends are moving their belongings and officials have said they will cut electrical power to the area.

I've read the reports of the flood ... and I've read what I've written, and I simply can't comprehend it.
One thing I can comprehend, however, is the need for prayer ... for all who stand in front of the relentless flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment